What is the Rural Electric Youth Tour Trip?
Access Energy Cooperative sends two students to participate in the Rural Electric Youth Tour in June of each year, for an activity-filled week, affording these high school youths opportunities to learn first-hand what it is like to be involved in politics, community development and today’s social issues.
Click here for a short video introduction to the Youth Tour.
2019 Youth Tour Winners
Congratulations!! Elizabeth Smith and Shelby Ryan, were chosen as the 2019 Youth Tour winners!
For more information on the 2019 winners click here.
Click here for a report of the 2019 trip.
During the 2020 trip from June 18-25, more than 1,400 students from across the country will:
- Participate and visit historic sites
- Explore the Smithsonian museums
- Take a cruise on the Potomac River
- Meet with their Senators and House Representatives where they discuss the process of government
- Discuss current issues
- Increase their knowledge of cooperative electric utilities and American history
- Be a sophomore or junior high school student in the Access Energy Cooperative service area—need not be a member to apply (Click here to see a map of the service area)
- Submit an application. They can be obtained:
- At all area high school guidance counselor offices
- By contacting the Access Energy Cooperative headquarters office in Mt. Pleasant
- By downloading the application here, and either fax, mail or bring to our office
- By submitting an online form here
- Applicants must also participate in a personal interview scheduled for March 11, 2020 at our office in Mt. Pleasant. Since judges are brought in from out of the area, and winners are chosen on that date, no exceptions can be allowed.
To Learn More
Contact Access Energy Cooperative’s office at 319-385-1577 or 1-800-452-7810, M–TH 7:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m., FRI 7:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m., or visit the Iowa Association of Electric Cooperative’s web site at https://www.electric.coop/our-organization/youth-programs/
Mail applications to:
Access Energy Cooperative
P.O. Box 440
Mt. Pleasant, IA 52641