Summer vacations are hard to pull off these days, so it’s important that trip-takers have peace of mind while away. The electrical safety checklist below will help you decrease the risk of problems occurring while on vacation:
- Turn off all electrical appliances, including toaster ovens, stoves, and curling irons.
- Unplug television sets and computers?these items are especially susceptible to lightning and power surges.
- Use a timer on indoor lights. Look for one that can be set to a random pattern rather than regular times throughout the day.
- Install motion-detecting lights outdoors.
- Set the thermostat to 80 degrees in the summer and 55 degrees in the winter if you plan to leave for an extended period of time.
- Give your house key to a neighbor and make sure he or she has a phone number where you can be reached.
Source: National Sheriffs’ Association Christine Smith