Could your garage, shed, barn, or other outdoor building use an energy efficient boost? Try these tips to save energy and money:
1. The same rules apply for outdoor buildings as houses; add insulation, install energy-efficient windows, and seal ductwork.
2. Unplug power tools and battery chargers at the end of the season.
3. Install an insulated door and seal the sides and bottom to reduce air leaks.
4. Install motion sensors on outdoor lights.
5. Look into LED retrofit kits for outdoor security lights. They cost more upfront, but payback is five to 10 years, and LEDs can last up to 20.